In November of 1966, Calvary Temple was begun as a prayer group in the home of Tony and Janet Moschella. Rev. Ernest Berquist and his wife Virginia became Calvary Temple’s first pastoral couple in December of l967.

In that first year, the church held services at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church on Ratzer Road in Wayne. It was during that time that the church grew to 100 in attendance, was able to purchase 4  acres of land at 491 Alps Road, obtain a $95,000 mortgage and construct their own worship facility. In December of 1967, Calvary Temple moved from St. Michael’s Episcopal Church to their own building on Alps Road, which included a 200-seat sanctuary.

During the next 10 years, Calvary Temple continued to grow. In March of 1977, Rev. and Sister Berquist retired and Rev. Richard E. Fogel and his wife Waltraud became the new pastors. Under the Fogels’ leadership, the church grew in regular attendance from 130 to 500.

Over the next few years, the ministries of Calvary Temple continued to expand to the point of including a full pre-school and elementary school program. In 1980 ground was broken for a new sanctuary that would seat 650 people. It was dedicated on October 11, 1981. Within three months, a second Sunday morning service was added. By the end of 1985, church attendance had increased to over 900. In 1986, plans were begun for a new worship center, to include a sanctuary seating in excess of 2,000, educational facilities and a gymnasium.

In August of 1986, the site of Calvary Temple’s current facility, 1111 Preakness Avenue, was purchased. A ground-breaking ceremony was held in August 1988 and construction of a new worship center began in December of that year. On November 5, 1989, the cornerstone was laid, and on Sunday, June 3, 1990, Calvary Temple moved from 491 Alps Road to the present facility at 1111 Preakness Avenue. The ministry continued to expand in this new location under the leadership of Rev. Fogel.

In the summer of 2001, Rev. and Mrs. Fogel retired and former associate pastor, Dr. Thomas W. Keinath assumed the position of Senior Pastor. He, along with his wife, Kimberly, continue to serve the Calvary Temple congregation, instilling in the church family a hunger for God’s Word and a call to experience the power of prayer. Currently, Calvary Temple desires to minister to the needs of people from every nation, every age, and every walk of life, including a Sunday afternoon Spanish service, which enables our Hispanic brothers and sisters to hear the Word of God in their native language.

May God continue to bring to Calvary Temple those who are seeking, a place to call home, with people you call family.